Monday, January 26, 2009

The long walk

Today was a funny day for me, I woke up at around 7:30 am, and just put on a shirt and shorts on and walked my ass out the door. Where did my dumb ass go you ask? Hell if I know but my trek according to map quest was around 18 miles. This would also explain why me feet hurt really really bad. It was however a nice way to reflect upon the changes to this city!
I started from my house to go down town which if you ever get a chance to visit San Antonio, is a great influx of Spanish, Mexican, and typical Texan influence. Great architecture, wonderful food and the kindest most polite people ever. Its nice to go down town and just admire the scenery. I am a professed people watcher, and this city is a great place to do it. I picked a random shady bench to take my much deserved break and was cough up in the movement of City officials, Business men, happy couples swaying to their own personal love song, romancing in the mild near spring like air. High school students here on a Field trip from Houston to visit the Alamo, only to discover a city with its own vibrant culture built around the historic land mark. The smell of Grilled Fajitas and mesquite BBQ pits swell in the air. It is an intoxicating mix of easy going attitudes and wonderful foods that make this trip worth it every time for me. Then I spot them.
The most adorable old couple. Her in a wheel chair, him pushing. They had to be in their late 70's and probably more in love than they were in their 20's. Probably in disbelief at how much things have changed in their lifetimes, yet the flame of true love still warming their souls like chicken soup on a cold wet night.
That is life. Living at its finest and these are the kind of people I truly admire. Not worried over economics, or war, they have seen it, lived it, and loved through it.
Content that I had seen what I sub consciously set out to see, and feeling a little better knowing that happiness is attainable began my long trip home. At a much slower, less deliberate pace. This is San Antonio after all. Whats my hurry?

2 comments:

Amy xxoo said...

I just wanted to say that you're new header picture is gorgeous - is it San Antonio ?

Lord Snuffy said...

Yes maam, that is the river walk that I always talk about!